Mixed Martial Arts (or UFC in some circles) continues to grow among sports enthusiasts in the United States. More and more fights continue to be slated, and the venues continue to be jam packed with spectators. Mixed Martial Arts can be a little predictable, but often times the unthinkable happens, and an underdog comes away with a knock-out that shakes the betting world. These athletes train harder than anyone in the world to prepare their bodies for “battle”. Let’s take a look at some of the MMA betting information and picks.
Types of MMA Bets
We are going to give you a few ways you can bet on events throughout Mixed Martial Arts below:
- Win Outright – First, you can bet whether a fighter wins outright or not. Basically, you are selecting which fighter will win the bout. It does not matter how he/she wins, as long as the fighter you wagered on wins, you win. Regular odds are given for this. For example: Johnson -180, Jones +155.
- Win via Knock-out – When you are betting on whether a fighter will win via a knock-out or not, this also includes a fighter stopping during the event. This is a little tougher to wager on, because not all fights are won by knock-outs. Again, regular odds will be given for this, but differing from the outright odds.
- Win via submission – Wagering on a fighter to win by submission is just like a knock-out. Your fighter must not only win, but they have to win via submission.
For each of these kinds of bets, you are getting an opportunity to wager on an underdog and a favorite. For odds such as +140, you would win $14 for every $10 you wager. If the bet included -135, you would need to wager $13.50 to win $10.
Some terms in MMA you should know
- Stand up Striking – you will commonly hear of types of fighting such as kickboxing and Muay Thai. These types of fights are when the fighters go at each other from their feet. If someone is good at these they are termed: “good stand-up”.
- Ground Grappling – First, grappling is a term for wrestling. It’s important that people understand that. Some of the newer fans do not seem to concept that term. The term Jiu-Jitsu and sambo are how fighters can keep their opponent to the ground. Terms such as arm lock, leg lock and choke are in this type of fighting.
- Wrestling – many folks feel they know what wrestling is. What they do not realize is that judo is another type that can be grouped in. This shows how well fighters can get their opponent to the ground. If a fighter has good wrestling skills, he/she can dictate whether the fight is on the ground or on their feet.
Some Big Factors to Analyzing MMA Fights
When you are betting on Mixed Martial Arts these things you must know before putting any money on the line.
- Injury – MMA fighting is very violent. Seeing someone get hurt or fighting while hurt is not uncommon. How severe the injury is, remains the key. If a fighter is hurt, of course that will hamper his ability to fight, which should be noted before betting.
- Winning/Losing streak – this is a huge factor in such an emotional sport such as mixed martial arts. It makes a big difference whether the fighter is coming off a win or a loss. If a fighter has a long winning streak – they are likely to come out with a lot of momentum and win the bout.
- History between fighters – Obviously, just like in term sports – check whether these two fighters have played before, and if they have – what was the result? Just because one fighter won last time does not mean they are a given to win again, but it makes a big difference.
- Check the odds at different locations – If you are going to bet on mixed martial arts, and want to make some money doing it – a great idea would be shop for odds. All of the online sports books give odds on the biggest martial arts fights. There may be a difference worth taking advantage of that could garner you some nice money!
Conclusion on MMA Betting
Mixed Martial Arts is an event that brings groups of people together for the “big fights”. A lot of time these events are on pay-per-view, but can be accessible on regular cable television after the fact. These events include a lot of the Ultimate Fighting Championship or UFC events. If you are a big time bettor, be sure to watch the tendencies of the fighter and some of the qualities. Have fun with mixed martial arts betting, enjoy watching the fights, and win some money!