Betting on NFL games is fun and challenging. NFL football is the perfect game to bet on since you have all week to look over games and matchups and get a lot of very good info to guide your betting decisions. Betting on NFL games allows you to feel like you are a part of the game, even if your favorite team isn’t playing.
At Picks.org, we take pride in providing completely free expert NFL picks for every week of the season and the playoffs, all the way up to Superbowl picks and predictions.
There are many different ways to bet on the NFL, but once you understand the basics of NFL bet types, it is actually quite simple and straight-forward. The tough part is picking the winners!
Main Types of NFL bets
- NFL Point Spread Betting – With this type of bet, you will place a wager based on what the oddsmakers placed the “line” at. For example, the Chicago Bears may be -3 at the Green Bay Packers. WIth NFL Spread Betting you are electing to bet on the Chicago Bears as the three point favorite; or the Green Bay Packers as the three point underdog.
- NFL Money Line Betting – With NFL Money Line Betting – you are picking which team you feel will win the game. It’s not quite that easy, as the teams that are huge favorites, and are supposed to win will receive less money than those that are not. On the contrary, the underdogs receive good odds for winning the game. A NFL Money Line Betting line would look like this: New England (-200) @ Cleveland (+135).
- NFL Game Total Betting (Over/Under) – In NFL Game Total Betting or the “over/under”, once the odds makers have given their line, you have the choice to bet the “over or under”. If you feel the two teams will combine for more points than the odds makers, then you bet “over”. On the flip side, if you think the defenses will be better, than you want the “under”. A NFL Game Total Betting line would like similiar to this: Cincinnati/Cleveland – O/U 37.5.
- Fantasy Football Betting – A relatively new approach to NFL betting is Fantasy Football betting. In this, it is similiar to playing in a fantasy sports league. You elect a player, or a group of player and bet that their performances will be better than the others.
- NFL Parlay Betting – Several bets combined into one. Chance to win big money with one bet.
- NFL Future Bets - Bet on future outcomes of the league.
- NFL Prop Bets – Bet on an individual action that could happen in a game.
Top NFL Games You Must Pick
- Super Bowl – This is a game where you can make tons of bets. Not just the moneyline, point spread, total, etc. Prop bets and others are readily available during the Super Bowl. Why not bet on the sports world’s top single night event?
- Monday Night Football Games – Coming off a such a high of the weekend games, don’t just sit back and wait for the weekend. Bet on the Monday Night Football Games. Usually good match-ups take place on Monday Night’s.
- Pro Bowl – For those that love the game of football, the Pro Bowl is a fun game to watch. It is the NFL’s All Star Game, so sometimes it is difficult to wager on. But, if you do your homework, betting on the Pro Bowl can be profitable.
NFL Betting Tips and Strategy
Here are a few of our NFL Betting Tips and Strategy. As with almost anything, you must have a strategy to betting before you get too involved with it:
1. Who is the home team - the home team makes a big difference in the NFL. Just because a lesser talented team is playing one of the elite, does not mean they do not have a chance. Especially in the NFL, be sure to watch who is at home, and how they have favored in the past.
2. Check Injury Reports – This is very important. Before you go salivating at a line, be sure to check the injury report. Alot of times in the NFL, the injury reports are not official until right before game time. This is important to check out – therefore you may want to wait until right before kick-off to make your bet.
3. Line Movements – During the course of a week, it is a good idea to watch the line movements on the game. These movements mean something. If you see a drastic change, be sure to do your homework and figure out why the line is moving whichever way it is.
4. Quarterback Battle – This is an underlooked portion of NFL Betting. The league is a quarterback league. Often times, the team with the best, or hottest quarterback wins!
Conclusion on NFL Betting
Enjoy betting on the National Football League. Football is arguably the best sport to bet on, due to it’s nature of never knowing what will happen next. Do not get too up or down when making your NFL bets. Take advantage of the many lines that the various sports books offer.