Although the NHL does not have a large number of fans compared to other major sports (Canada notwithstanding of course), it is a very interesting and fun game to bet on. Betting on NHL hockey can be very lucrative if you know how to analyze and handicap games.
Hard core hockey fans already know how much fn it can be to bet on NHL hockey games, and although there are a few more intricate types of bets, there are a few types of bets found in most sports that are available to hockey bettors:
- NHL Money Line Betting – When talking about money line better within the National Hockey League, you are wagering on which team you feel will win the game, straight up. It doesn’t matter if the score is 8-0 or 2-1. The team that odds makers expect to win will win you less money than if you picked an “underdog” via the moneyline.
- NHL Point Total Betting (Over/Under) – With this, you are wagering on how many “total” goals will be scored in this game. Most totals for the NHL are at 5 or 5.5. If you feel a particular game will be high scoring, than you would bet the “over”. If you feel the number is too high, and defense will win out, you would bet the “under”.
A new phrase to learn when you bet on hockey is:
- NHL Puck Line Betting – i.e., Toronto -1.5 (+200) – This means that Toronto has to win by two (2) goals to win this bet, but if they do, the bettor wins double their money (2 : 1). In NHL puckline betting, it is not always +200. You find most puck line bets anywhere from +150 – +290.
- NHL Future Bets - bet on events that will happen in the future of the NHL.
- NHL Prop Bets - for big games, an example of a type of prop bet is “Who will score first goal?”
- NHL Parlay Bets - place one bet on many teams combined. All your teams must win for this bet to win. Opportunity to win big money is here!
Some NHL Games You Must Bet On
- Stanley Cup Finals – You must bet on the Finals. Many people associate the Stanley Cup Finals with the most prestigous award in all of sports. Lord Stanley’s Cup is beautiful, as are the games. The best two teams in the league go at it, with everything on the line.
- Winter Classic – A relatively new game that has emerged in the National Hockey League is the Winter Classic. This is just one game, that is played outside. Typically a Major League Baseball stadium will be used, as ice will be brought in and the fans will watch outside. This game is played each year on New Years Day.
- NHL All Star Game – if you like speed hockey and goals - this game is for you. The best players in the world get together and go at it. Goalies have very little chance when the best skilled skaters and puck handlers combine forces. This is a fun game to bet on.
Tips and Strategy for NHL Betting
When you are betting on the National Hockey League, you need to have an idea of what you are doing before forking out some money. Here are a few helpful hints we would like to provide for you when making wagers on the National Hockey League:
1. Look at injury reports – Hockey is a brutal sport. Alot of injuries occur. Just because your favorite team is a big favorite, or the top team in the league is playing a weak opponent – don’t go immediately betting them. Do your homework and see if all the players that are impact players are playing.
2. Check the goaltenders status – This is huge in the NHL. Goaltenders cannot play everynight. It’s just impossible. The wear and tear on the body is just too great. So you may see a goaltender sit every third game. Be sure, before you make that big bet on the Rangers – check to make sure the back-up goaltender is not starting.
3. Check the home team – Be sure you check out who is at home and who is on the road. Some teams are almost unbeatable at home, where other teams simply cannot win on the road. Check the trends and records on how each team does in that setting.
4. Look at recent history – This is especially important if you want to wager on totals. Look at the last couple times these two teams played. Some teams just have the ability to get up and down the ice when playing against another team. Some teams play alot of low scoring close games. Check out the history of the two teams before making the bet!
Wrapping up NHL Betting
Betting on the National Hockey League is fun. It’s a good time cheering on the team you wagered on, with all the action going on, on the ice. Many times the difference between winning and losing a bet can come down to one sweet shot, or an amazing save by the goaltender. Enjoy NHL betting, but remember it’s a long season – and a win is just one win and a loss is just one loss!