Soccer is played other times than just during the FIFA World Cup. On a global scale, soccer or some call it “futbol” is the most popular sport in the country. The United States is quickly emerging as a betting country within the game of soccer, along with all the rest of the professional sports. Soccer is a game that does not provide a bunch of scoring, but the physical conditioning of soccer players is amazing, and the skill level is outstanding. You can bet international soccer, or during the MLS season, bet on the games in the league here in the US.
Types of Soccer Bets
- Moneyline Betting – When you bet on the moneyline in soccer, you have a third option that the game can end in a tie or “draw”. Many games are tied, including numerous times tied at 0. As always the better team or “favorite” would get better odds, but pay out less money. The “underdog”, which is the team that is expected to lose will have low odds, but pay out better money. An example of a moneyline bet in soccer looks like this: Chicago +345, Draw +220, Los Angeles -195
- Totals Betting – Just like hockey, soccer allows you to make bets on the “total” amount of goals scored. The total is the amount of goals scored by both teams combined. Many soccer totals are set no higher than 4 or 4.5. When you find the line in the “total”, you elect whether you feel the total amount of goals will be more (over) or less (under). Most of the time, the totals are near even money, just with the juice that the book takes out. An example of a totals bet in soccer looks like this: Chicago/Los Angeles – 3.5, Over (-110), Under (-110)
- Prop Bets – Many soccer games will allow for prop bets. Prop bets are wagers that can be made on an action that will or will not occur during the game. Most prop bets in soccer include: Which team will score the first goal? How long will it take for the first goal, and which team will be ahead at halftime? Prop bets are good to play, if you are unsure on who will win the overall game.
- Future Bet – In a future bet, you can wager something in the game of soccer that will happen “in the future”. Many times, league will offer future bets on who will win the league title, or who will win the MVP, etc. When you make the future bet early on, you have the opportunity to get great odds. As the season continues, the odds may get better or worse, depending on the success/struggles of the team. An example of a future bet would be: Chicago to win the MLS title (550)
- Parlay Bet – in a parlay bet in soccer, you are wagering several teams on one bet. Whether it’s to win the game or totals bet on a certain game. The more games/teams you wager on the parlay bet – the higher your winnings will be. All of this is made on one bet. The kicker for a parlay bet – is ALL of the teams on a parlay card must win or the bet loses.
Some Big Soccer Event to Bet On
- World Cup – Only goes on every four years, but when it does – LOOK OUT. This is a betting frenzy. The odds on favorites are victorious most of the time, but you do not want to miss out on the big time underdog sneaking a win!
- MLS Finals – the professional league in the United States. Most of any American icons that exists in the world of soccer play in this league. Can provide some excellent action.
- Premiere League Championship – The Barclays Premiere League features the ever popular Manchester United and Chelsea, along with the rest of the league. Some of the best soccer on the planet goes in with games in this league.
Tips for Betting on Soccer
Here are a few things you should know before you delve into the world of Soccer Betting.
- Know any injuries – soccer injuries occur often. The game is physical and the endurance and strength needed is incredible. Know which players are nursing an injury and also which players may not be playing.
- Know the goaltenders – some have the ability to shut-out certain teams due to their style of play. Be sure to check out who is going to be starting before making the bet.
- Know the weather – soccer is a game played outside. If the field is wet, won’t certain players have a little more advantage with things slowing down.
- Know the location of the game – home teams always have the advantage, or at least a little bit. Know this ahead of time.
Conclusion to Betting on Soccer
Give it a shot! Enjoy the game of soccer. Too many people do not give it their proper due and just call it a “non-American” sport. Give it a shot, and you will enjoy it. Once you start to understand the game, enjoy betting on soccer, and you will fall in love with the sport!